Sunday, January 13, 2008

Of Vampires, Werewolves and Top Friends

After being in Facebook and studying it as work (ahem!) for the past four months, I really thought that Facebook is "DA' THANG" in terms of social networking, and for businesses to really reach the masses of their target audience. I mean, one simple ad on say, the Singapore network, you could have a lot of people viewing it! I'm not exactly sure of the costs for an ad, but if it ain't too expensive the CPM will definitely be low.

Alas, but it was not meant to be.

Business execs snub Facebook

CIO Jury: Too many "silly applications"…

"Social networking website Facebook is being snubbed by professional executives because of the increasing number of "silly applications" and lack of business use.
...
He said: "It doesn't strike me as being a business tool. I am signed up to LinkedIn and Plaxo. LinkedIn seems to be used most by the people I know, and does seem to generate useful connections or re-connections. Plaxo doesn't seem to do much for me, apart from provide the promise that my contacts are backed up somewhere."
...
He said: "I actually don't use it all that much as I get irritated at the constant stream of silly applications. I also have concerns about its default privacy settings. I am also on LinkedIn and Plaxo, but haven't actively developed my network. I'm not sure whether that's laziness, lack of time, or failure to prioritise my own future opportunities.""

Maybe these guys aren't looking at the younger audience/customer group. But you've got to agree, the number of application invites that are spammed on people is just insane! Personally I add what I feel is enough for the profile page, without lagging the page when I actually want to see my profile. Superpoking, Werewolves, Vampires, whatever; it is pretty much. I personally have about 230+ pending invites for random applications (cleared 400+ before this). Can't anyone just press the "SKIP" button when it comes to sending invites?

I question the seriousness because of how people even actually use Facebook. Would we really pay attention to ads? The question is then, is Facebook really overrated?