Saturday, June 21, 2008

Third-Generation Console?

I'm wondering whether I should spend on a third-gen console.

It's either PS3 or X360 for me, by the way. Definitely not the Wii, since I really need some thrill playing.

Neither platform is that exclusive when it comes to the great games developers are making nowadays. But, there are a whole list of problems when I think about it.

Firstly, these third-gen consoles probably feel too good for our normal televisions. It probably requires HD-technology to make it feel and sound awesome. Now I don't know how much HDTVs cost, but I don't think they are cheap... Yet.

I don't really care about the online option... It's no big deal to me. I'm an average gamer... Probably enough to beat the AI, never good enough to beat human brainpower. But even if I did care, the PS3 would be a better option, since PSNetwork is free (correct me if I'm wrong). That means downloading mods and patching isn't a big deal.

There are a lot of games I want to play actually. Here's a simple list, due to the lack of games made anyway.

1. Ninja Gaiden (1, 2, Sigma. Count as one)
2. GTA IV
3. Final Fantasy XIII (When it does come out)
4. Resident Evil 5 (^^)
5. Devil May Cry 4
6. Ghostbusters
7. Dynasty Warriors 6
8. Splinter Cell - Double Agent
9. Tony Hawk's Project 8

Probably some games are still in production. Almost all of the games are available on the X360 as well.

On pricing, the consoles will probably cost in huge variations, with the PS3 costing at about $600++, and the X360 at about $350 - $400. Huge difference... Could really add to the HDTV part.

And these third-gen consoles are still in its growth phase only (probably for PS3, considering how slow it became popular. The X360 is not too shabby in popularity). Once it hits maturity, prices are bound to drop.

Then on games, prices range from $60- $90. Not cheap at all... One game should really make it last for long.

How how how?!

Or I could just rig up a super computer and miss out on the exclusive console games, wait for some genius to make an emulator, and live happily ever after.

SOMEONE, PLEASE GIVE ME A BUDGET.

My deadline for getting one is probably the end of the year, after I move into a bigger room.